Yesterday I found myself noticing the trash that I created. It happened when I went to have my car checked at the VW dealer first thing in the morning. I didn't have to sit there long, but by the time I left I was starving and ready to turn off the road at the slightest sign of food.
I ended up at Panera. Without even thinking once, I ordered a chocolate croissant and espresso to go. When I arrived at work, I found that I had gotten the following in addition to my sustenance:
* 1 paper cup
* 1 corrugated cardboard cup wrap
* 1 plastic lid
* 1 wax paper wrapping
* 3 napkins
* 1 paper bag
Total use time before trashing: 1 hour
I did recycle the paper cup, lid and cardboard cup wrapping, and I folded up the paper bag (for what?), but the rest is headed to the landfill.
Later on:
* 3 gum wrappers
* 3 pieces of chewed gum (how long does that last in a landfill?)
* 1 plastic coffee stirrer (hundreds of years for this one)
* 1 more napkin
On the bright side, the HP cafeteria now has a compostable waste bin -- wonderful! (One napkin went in there.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment